Playing with Shutter Speed!

Ok, one type of photograph that I have always wanted to take but didn't know how to take was those blurred movement photos. Well, duh! Now I know they are related to shutter speed--how fast your camera's eye opens and closes. (Sounds like me on a tired morning. LOL!) So last night I had Jimmy run in front of the camera while I had a slow shutter speed. I wasn't sure it would work, but I like it (ignore our yard flags to keep kids off the new grass):


Nikon D50
50 mm 1.8
1/60 shutter speed
1.7 aperture
200 ISO

And then I had him ride his bike. The photo is overexposed, but I'm still figuring out the photographic triangle. I will say I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with the camera.


Nikon D50
50 mm 1.8
1/15 shutter speed
1.7 aperture
200 ISO

I am finding that the only way things I learn stick is if I practice, practice, practice. I keep apologizing to my family for having the camera in their faces constantly; but if I can't play I can figure things out. It's amazing how much I forget the very next day.

Here's one more photo of the same scenario above but with frozen action.


Nikon D50
50 mm 1.8
1/4000 shutter speed
1.7 aperture
200 ISO

You can't even tell he's moving in this photo. I think I like the other one better. I think Shutter Speed may be my new favorite setting. :)

3 comments

  1. Crystal Shelley8:47 AM

    Fun stuff! I love the first shot of Jimmy on his bike. I'm glad you found a real photographer to learn from. Looks like fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blurred background shots, too, and I have a new camera that I'm trying to figure out. We're "camera info" twins, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the action shots - so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...