Christmas Tree Love Language

Have you ever read the "5 Love Languages" book? If you haven't, I highly suggest reading it. It discusses how we all receive and show love in 5 different ways. From touch, to words of affirmation, to acts of service, to gifts, and more, it explains how we recognize love we are receiving and how to give love to others in a way they will recognize it. My husband is speaking my language right now, and I seriously needed it.

Christmas Tree Love Lauguage with Jen Gallacher from www.jengallacher.com


After a particularly long and hard day at work, one that just seriously kicked my behind and left me a little emotional, I returned home feeling defeated, angry, and just wanting things to be different. I'm a girl, and I was feeling "all the feels" -- and not necessarily the good ones.

You get it.

There are just days that don't go right and sometimes they just really, really get to you.

It was one of those terrible, no good, awful, very bad days.

But I had only been in the house for about 20 minutes when I had to leave for another appointment. It was a good appointment--I got to practice a beautiful hymn with some lovely singers. As I accompanied them on the piano, I could feel some of my anger and frustration seep away. But I was still feeling very tired and very discouraged.

After an hour-long practice, I walked through my garage door into my kitchen/great room. It seemed unusually bright. And as I looked up, I realized that my Christmas tree was standing in front of the traditionally, designated window all lit up in all its glory.

Jen Gallacher "Christmas Tree Lights Love Language"
 (my teenage son later helping me decorate the tree)
 
I lost it! I found my husband, squeezed him as tight as I could, and cried like a baby. He was more than a little surprised at my reaction. I mean he had done something nice for me after all. Why in the world was I blubbering all over his work shirt?

But he GOT IT.

He understood my love language. And without being asked. Without being prompted. He took it upon himself to do something so incredibly nice for me--trust me putting on tree lights isn't for the faint of heart.

I needed it.

He knew it.

He did it.

Sometimes in a marriage, we overthink what a person needs and what it will take to do it for them. Sometimes when we just dig in and do it, we communicate to our partner just how important they are to us. It can ease a burden. Rekindle the flame. Unite a partnership.

These small gifts can often become large ones when it's given with such unconditional love.

My husband and I may not always speak the same language all the time, but sometimes we are totally in sync.

Love you, babe! Thank you for knowing just what I needed.

4 comments

  1. Oh... How sweet! It's so pretty and I think acts of service is one of my main love languages too. ;) Hope your day is looking up. I've been thinking of you lots this week and felt bad I was so sick and missed getting on facebook to wish you a happy birthday. Hope that day was happier. Sending lots of love and hugs from Washington state. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mendi! I hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Awww, how beautiful! Love this sweet picture of your son!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...