The Real Artist in Our Family

One of the most amazing joys of parenting comes when you see a child succeed at an endeavor. Not just do well but truly exceed your every expectation and blow your mind. We are blessed to have children that seem to do that regularly.

Our daughter Kate was chosen as her school's Student Body Artist this year. Having never heard of a Student Council position with such a name, we were curious as to what her duties would entail. What we discovered was that as the artist, she would be called upon to create any and all art for the Student Council through the year. Thinking on the scale of posters, crepe paper decorations, and balloons, we soon realized that her job was far more detailed that we could have imagined.

At Kate's school, Homecoming week is a big deal. Not a big deal, but a BIG deal. One of the activities that takes place is that the entire Student Council decorates the entire main floor and adjoining halls of the school. But when I say decorate, I mean completely transform the school into something new. I have seen it in the past but did not realize that my daughter would have anything to do with it.

Let me rephrase that: "that my daughter would have EVERYTHING to do with it."

Katelyn as the artist was in charge of helping develop the vision and direct the students in creating the theme which they chose this year which was an Arcade.

Kate spent countless hours this summer and then before and after school, as well as, time in our office on the weekends creating projects for the decoration. Everything is kept under wraps from the rest of the student body so that on the designated day, there is a grand reveal.

This past Friday after the rest of the students had gone home for the weekend, Katelyn joined the entire Sophmore, Junior, Senior, and Student Body officers to begin the magic. When I went to check on her later that evening I was concerned at the magnitude of the task. I could hardly sleep myself as I began to internalize her own stress.


Then on Saturday I joined her for six hours as we hung up her work and decorated the halls. By midnight that evening, she was overwhelmed, exhausted, and worried about the results. I had begun to worry myself.

But on Sunday night the parents of the Student Council were invited to tour the school. As we walked through the halls of the school, we were blown away by the grandeur of the decor. Let me give you a little tour of what they created:




Katelyn put her heart and soul into this project. She has lived and breathed it for months now. And when I think about who the real artist in our family is, I would have to say her. She has learned more about project management, people skills, patience, exhaustion, pushing through, divine inspiration, and the reward for true hard work in these past months than I could have wished for her in a lifetime. I'm so grateful that she has had this opportunity even though as a parent I have more than worried for her. I hope this week as the student body explores and discovers the newly decorated school, they will appreciate all of her and her fellow Student Body officers' work. It truly was an act of blood, sweat, and even a few tears.

15 comments

  1. This is AMAZING! She's really talented, such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to her! The decorations are incredible!! No wonder you're a proud mama. :) (now, I hope she doesn't have to do anything for holidays, valentine's, or prom, bc she needs so rest!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome !!! What a huge project for her to take on! She did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It is amazing!! Congrats to her!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Wow! I'm so impressed! She did a fantastic job

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is wonderful, just like her mum!
    She must get her creative side from you. Loving how your schools make a big deal of celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING! Huge congrats to her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Very cool project. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is incredible! What an accomplishment! She and all your family must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:20 AM

    Wow - I LOVE how she's done everything on such a huge scale; so many youngsters keep things tiny, but going big gives so much more impact. Be sure to pass on my admiration! Someone has certainly inherited her mother's talent...

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely amazing. well done katelyn. I can see why you're so proud. Maybe the start of a very interesting career.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What an undertaking with such amazing results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out incredibly!!! Your talented daughter should be so proud (and relieved I imagine)!! I hope she had a wonderful time with the rest of homecoming after this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!! I LOVE the end results and I remember these days when I was in school!! LOVED to decorate and the FUN and EXCITMENT that Homecoming Week brought!! THANKS for sharing and tell her JOB WELL DONE!! Keep up the AMAZING Work!! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...