When Book Deals Go Under

As you might recall, I shared with you in early February that I was working on a book. (You can read more about that announcement HERE.)

I've been wanting to update you on the status of the book but was waiting on a more official announcement from the publishing company with which I was working. Since that has not occurred and may never occur, I can't yet fully disclose the nature of why the deal is not moving forward.

But I can share a few things:

* I'm really ok with it all. If you knew how many times things haven't worked out for me professionally, you might be surprised. Failure and disappointment is a part of the job. It makes me sad for a moment, and then I dust myself off and move forward.

* I found out about the change in direction just after I had submitted all my work for the book. What will happen with all those projects? Some I've shared with you (you just didn't realize it at the time). Some I'm compiling into a workshop which I plan to host on the same site as my former 2Peas workshops. I just need some time to get the site up and running. And some will never see the light of day. It just isn't worth it, and some of the projects seem too "dated" to me. (Maybe I'm self-editing a bit.)

* While I am disappointed, I am not upset with the wonderful people who helped me with this book. The editor, the photographers, and the people at the publishing office were kind, generous, and very sad when the book was pulled. I appreciate their time, talent, and efforts to help me. I also feel very grateful for the opportunity even if it won't be moving forward.

* While my personal book was pulled from the publishing line-up, there were other titles as well that had to be pulled. It makes me sad to know that other talented people were affected by this change. It was outside of all of our hands, but it still makes me sad.

* I'm not giving up. I'm kind of a fighter. I won't lie. I get disappointed. I cry. I don't always understand. But when someone tells me in one way or another that I "can't" do something, I kind of get a little mad (not at them, but within myself). And then I set out to prove to myself most of all that I can do it. Somehow an opportunity like this will come again.

If in the future the publishing company decides to share more about this decision, I will obviously share as well. However, to protect the relationships I've encountered there, and to respect the company I won't share information that I don't feel is my right to disclose.

I do want to thank you for your excitement and encouragement around the book. How incredible it was to know that I have an army of cheerleaders pulling for me every day. What a lucky girl I am!

Thanks for your friendship, love, and just general kindness. You're the best!

30 comments

  1. Anonymous5:40 AM

    Aw, that sucks Jen. :o( But hopefully where one door closes, another (way better one) will open. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that things didn't work out, but I'm so glad that you are sharing here! It's so good to know that you have struggles and disappointments and still move forward with your crafting! Very inspiring! I appreciate that more than you might imagine! Take care. I'll be here cheering on your next project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've always been so supportive, Ruth. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. sorry it didn't work out this time Jen but I know you'll do something even more amazing, I'm a big believer that everything happens for a reason, even though we may not see it at the time. Disappointments suck (been there too!) but better things are waiting :o)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I think we've all been disappointed in this industry at one point or another.

      Delete
  4. It's not a matter of 'if', just a matter of 'when'. Good things happen to good people. It will probably come when you are least expecting it. Hugs Miss J.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,

    This has happened to me twice as well. Once with a papercrafting book and once with a novel. Both times, the majority of the work had already been done. You're smart to try and utilize the projects elsewhere (There are online publishers too that might publish them?) but I understand the disappointment of this sort of thing happening. I still love my novel that may never be published. I think about it a lot and wonder what an editor would've brought to it.I still pray I get to find out. :)

    I'm sorry you had to deal with this after all the work was finished! Knowing you, it would've been a pretty awesome book! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney, now I'm totally wanting to see your novel published. I hope it happens for you. :) You're such a fabulous writer.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Well that us a bummer for sure. But I love your attitude jen. Kept it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, Jen, how disappointing! You have the right attitude, though. Just keep moving forward! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Great attitude Jen. Was this a result of the down turning of the scrapbooking industry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I am sure it did have a lot to do with that.

      Delete
  9. You are such an inspiration! Wow! What a great attitude! I admire you, continue reaching for the stars! Loves-Scrappin madge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Madge. You're so sweet. :)

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear - I'm disappointed because I would have LOVED to read that book! But no worries, there will always be other opportunities for great talent!

    Keep up the positive attitude, you are one strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know what they say.........when one door closes another opens, which is usually better than the first one anyway and even if it doesn't, I, along with so many others still appreciate your work. I'm positive that everything will work out in the end!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I I keep day to day pos doing their projects, I can not get enough and I'm always starting over. I love their work and get inspired them forever, one day I'll get to follow my own path, and believing in my work. I also spend a lot of disappointments and failures, but I do not give up. Be forceful and go forever, I'm counting on you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well played, Jen! And you are not alone. Add me to the ranks of those who've had projects contracted, completed, and then killed. I hope you were paid an advance and/or had a kill fee in the contract. The experience is valuable, but there's a major loss, too.

    Cheers to you, your bottomless well of creativity, and your fighting spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Jen. You have. I'm sorry about that. :(

      Delete
  14. Darn, I would have bought your book! Hopefully not all will be lost and you can share your projects with us somewhere! I am sorry it was cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jen, a huge {HUG}. Love that you are staying strong and positive. I have found through trial and error that giving it up to God and letting things go even when they weren't my wishes somehow always work out for the best in the long run. We will keep watching to see what is in store for you that will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry Jen! That is so disappointing to you and for us! It is sad that so much work was put into it before the project was shelved. I'm glad your relationships remain in tact. Hopefully another, better opportunity will come of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so sorry to read this! I was looking forward to spending some $$ on that book!! I'm sure that it means that something even better is in store for you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...