Filming: The Backstory

If you would have told me 15 years ago, that I would be working in the craft industry I would have been shocked. At that time I considered myself a mediocre cross-stitcher, a beginning quilter, and beyond that I could use crayons for some pretty nifty coloring skills. I also dabbled in tole painting and anything that would allow me to be in the company of other grown women (any one with littles, no car, and a basement apartment will understand).

Over the years, I've been blessed with so many opportunities from writing for a several craft magazines, designing for some amazing manufacturers, serving in editorial positions for Northridge Publishing, and now my work with 2Peas and Echo Park Paper. I count my blessings everyday.

Even with all those opportunities, I could not have foreseen the growth in the filming portion of this industry. While I love teaching and have taught in many areas of my life, I just couldn't see myself teaching on camera.

All that changed several years ago, when I began filming webisodes for the Nth Degree with the very talented Kara Henry. We shared several tips and tutorials for using the Cricut machine and additional products the company sold. We messed up, got nervous, had several false starts, and laughed our heads off in between takes. I liked it and that shocked me.

I continued filming on the editorial team for several Northridge publications. Kristine McKay served as the host for Northridge Publishing and guided me through all the in's and out's that comes with a professional film studio. Here's a photo of me with Kristine and the ever amazing Alisha Gordon (Northridge editor and graphic designer) in the studio:


Again, I liked it. Although I often felt terrified right before going on, I found that I could relax and enjoy myself and share my ideas in a coherent manner (especially with the likes of Kristine guiding me).

With the invention of digital cameras, I found I could film from home. I confess. That's a whole lot easier than multiple cameras, hot lights that show every flaw on your skin, and only having enough supplies for so many takes.

Currently, I film videos for EP TV (the Echo Park Paper Youtube channel), a monthly installment for the "Seeing Double" FREE class and various workshop videos for 2Peas, my "Memories Made" scrapbook process videos, my "Out of the Box" scrapbook haul videos, and my super short "Jen's Jumpstart" videos.

So why share this backstory with you? If I had known I would have to be in front of a camera, I would likely have never signed up to be a crafter. Seriously. I would have started running in the other direction for something far less scary like accounting (ok numbers scare me too). But it turns out, that I found a joy in something I never thought I could like. Surprising, right?


This has been my motto this year:


It's working so far. So take a risk! Take a chance on something that scares you, that helps you grow, that stretches you a little bit. Fail often and fail big because in those failures come some pretty amazing experiences.

Thanks to all of you that watch my current videos, that co-hosted videos with me, or were entirely in charge and allowed me to tag along. I am completely loving the opportunity to learn alongside you and share my thoughts and ideas with you!

10 comments

  1. Thank you Jen for reminding that! I remember that was you that made me submit for a magazine and my creation was published! Very exciting! Now you reminded me that I should try to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Jen and so true! You're a natural on camera. Looking forward to see where your journey takes you from here. Maybe TV is in your future?! Have you done any Studio5 segments yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful that I get to watch your videos. I have learned do much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoy your videos, hope you keep doing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the videos, too. The ideas and tips are priceless. I am so glad that you decided to step out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:09 AM

    I know this site gives quality based articles or reviews and extra stuff, is there any other website which presents such data in quality?



    Feel free to visit my web site ... bamboo longboard

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love ur videos. so glad ur making them.:0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. JLBOhio7:47 PM

    Thanks for sharing Jen!! It is a nice reminder to step outside of our comfort zones every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love to see the back stories, thanks for sharing yours. Although I still can't imagine myself on the other side of a camera LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love to see the back stories, thanks for sharing yours. Although I still can't imagine myself on the other side of a camera LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...