My Great Escape Part 2

The more I think about my trip to Savannah the more I miss living by the ocean. It takes an entire day of travel by car and hours by plane to get to an ocean around these parts. We have several lakes here, but I'm sorry. It's just NOT the same as the ocean. The smell, the sound, the feel of the sand between your toes. Why couldn't I have all my family and work be 20 minutes away from the coast? Of course there are things like hurricanes, squalls and things that you deal with living on the coast, but I love the ocean. I NEED the ocean at least once a week in my life. I'm already having serious withdrawals.

Shopping in downtown Savannah is a unique and fun experience. While they have all the typical fun shops, they also have upscale design and antique shops. The Paris Market is one such shop. I mean look at this display. Of course it means the mark-up is high, but I snagged some old wooden stamps and some metal numbers which look awesome.


I also visited a regular antique store and found a fan and a nautical map I desperately wanted to bring home, but unless I wanted to take them on the plane as my carry-on luggage they weren't going to fit inside my suitcase.

I ended up going to the beach three times. Once to Hilton Head and twice to Tybee Island, which is one of my favorite beaches of all time. It's always busy and full of families, and I like the sound of children playing in the waves. It seems right and soothes me. My Mom got a lovely flip flop sunburn line on our final day in Savannah. She's pretty proud of it as it will likely be the only sun she and I really see this summer.


My favorite part of the trip was reconnecting with friends. I didn't get to meet up with everyone I would have liked to have seen, but I got to see Young Women that I worked with that have grown into beautiful women. I also got to see two families who helped us feel very welcome in Savannah while we lived there.

As I listened to people doing the "tourist" thing in Savannah, I felt such pride. I know the city doesn't belong to me, but I'm pretty proud of it. It's one of my favorite places in the world. The people are sweet (just wait until someone calls you "honey"), the architecture is amazing, and you're 20-30 minutes from the ocean. The history alone will blow you away. I definitely recommend making the trip if you're ever in the South. You won't be disappointed. While you're there, stop here for a bite (I recommend a reservation):

5 comments

  1. I'm right there with you. I need the ocean, it soothes the soul. Savannah is a gorgeous city, I'd love to make it back there some day for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Savannah is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. 4 years ago we vacationed there & ended up buying our retirement home. Savannah just reaches out, grabs your heart, & you never want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the coast. I grew up on the Gulf coast in Florida, and I miss being that near the beach. I'm hoping to live in the Pacific Northwest or the Northeast someday. Soon. Other than my sweetheart, the ocean is the closest thing there is to home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, Savannah sounds like a dream! I've never been further east than Missouri, and a visit to The Lady and Sons is on my bucket list. I am glad that you were able to get away for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how it feels to miss the beach you grew up with. In my case it is a Lake Erie beach, but the feeling is the same. We visited this weekend, but had way too little beach time. Now I miss it more than ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...